Saturday, January 2, 2010

Just wanted to share...


Just the news about the fabulous eating the last few days, and my new cookbooks I got for Christmas this year.

New Year's Eve dinner
We had courses, spread out over several hours, so our tummies wouldn't get too full.
Prawns, sauteed in garlic and chili flakes, with a bit of white wine at the end
Venison tenderloin, quickly seared in butter, then sliced with bits of bread for rescuing any sauce
King crab legs, grilled, with butter for dipping, salad and bread on the side
Creme brulee for dessert!

New Year's Day dinner
One of my new cookbooks this year was Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. More on that later. We had a lovely roast from our November CSA delivery, so boeuf bourguignon seemed necessary. Homemade chocolate-peanut butter ice cream for dessert.




Fun Gifts!
Three lovely cookbooks:
Adventures of an Italian Food Lover, by Faith Heller Willinger
Simply Organic, by Jesse Ziff Cool
The aforementioned Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child. I've long thought that this cookbook wasn't really for me, as it seemed fussy and full of butter. But I changed my mind after seeing Julia and Julia this summer (reading the book twice didn't convince me, but seeing the food being cooked was enough to push me over the edge). Don't know how many recipes I'll try, but I'm having fun just reading it.

Also, I got some gorgeous 18-year old balsamic vinegar and basil olive oil from Fustini's Oil and Vinegar (yes, I got vinegar for Christmas, and yes, I'm that excited about it).

And fun tools! A kitchen scale, so less guessing of measurements, and a mandolin, so cool slicing and dicing and pretending to be on Top Chef.

Alas, I did not get any big giant elastic fat pants for Christmas, so I'm gonna have to be good for a while. Expect lots of fish and salads. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Bookmark on Delicious!

How Many Folks Stopped By?