Saturday, January 23, 2010

January 24 - 28

I wish I could eat more dinners. I realize it would be unnecessary, as well as expensive, as well as make me fat. But I was a little struck this morning by the cookbooks on my shelf that I haven't looked at in a long, long time, and so I stacked about 8 of them and brought them to the couch. And I found about seventy-three dinners I'd really like to try sometime soon.

If only I was adventurous enough (and had enough time) to make pad thai for breakfast... or carmelized butternut squash for lunch... then I'd be able to squeeze in more yummy experiments. Alas, I'm an apple-and-peanut-butter-for-breakfast kind of girl (quick, juicy, and you can eat it on the run!) and lunch is often leftovers from the previous night's dinner. So I'm stuck to once a day, not counting weekends (because we have to allow for take out, or even a restaurant, at some point). There are worse problems, I guess.

Anyway, here's what made the cut for this week:

Sunday
Roasted chicken
Roasted veggies -- onion, tomato, mushrooms, red pepper, garlic
Roasted sweet potato

I'm trying a new chicken recipe on my endless search for the perfect roasted chicken. And in The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, there's a recipe for... Perfect Roast Chicken! How could I not try it?

Monday

Tuesday
Leftovers... soup, chicken, salad...

Wednesday
Huevos rancheros:
Saute an onion, add some garlic, some black beans, some spicy spices. Spread on a tortilla, sprinkle a bit of cheese, put in the oven (400 degrees) for about 10 minutes. Fry an egg. Pull the tortilla and beans out of the oven, pop the egg on top. Maybe salsa.

Thursday
Fried rice, from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home

I'll make half this recipe, because if I make all 4 servings, I'll just eat 3 of them right then and there.

Mix: 1 T grated ginger, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 c soy sauce, 2 T rice vinegar, 2 tsp molasses, 2 T dark sesame oil, 1/2 tsp chili paste.

Slice 1 cake tofu into strips, marinate in the above mixture for 10 minutes.

In oil, saute:
2 bell peppers
6 oz snow peas

Add the marinated tofu.

Add rice, scallions, pour on marinade, mix and heat.

I might also add a few other veggies when I saute the bell peppers and snow peas -- maybe mushrooms, celery, or an onion. Depends on what's still around on Thursday.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Bookmark on Delicious!

How Many Folks Stopped By?