Thursday, June 25, 2009

It's not that we don't eat dinner in the summer...

It's just that we don't really plan it...

Right now, the veggies in the garden are growing quite well, which means the weeds are growing twice as well. To weed around all the lettuce, I had to pick a bunch of it. Just couldn't get at the weeds otherwise. And so, this week, we've been having salad. And it has been hot, so there hasn't been much other action, food-wise. Phil braved the melty temps yesterday to grill some salmon -- we put barbecue sauce on it -- and we had salad with strawberries and blue cheese. That was the big dinner accomplishment of the week.

I did make my first ever batch of strawberry freezer jam on Tuesday -- made 2 batches, actually. My mom makes it, and this year I consumed massive quantities of it while training for my race -- pbjs for breakfast stuck with me during the long runs -- and I was feeling bad about taking some out of her freezer every time I saw her. So I made my own supply!

It was fun! I bought 4 quarts of berries from the farmers market (the ones from my own garden get eaten before they get in the house) and used just over half to make the jam. The rest is left over for eating (hence the strawberry salad). I'm wondering now what else I can turn into jam, and I'm having to remind myself that a freezer full of jam won't do me any good if I don't eat it. So I should probably just stick with strawberry for this year, but all those little filled jars just looked so cute!

No comments:

Bookmark on Delicious!

How Many Folks Stopped By?