Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 12 - 16

I planned this week's menu in the middle of my canning-palooza... I get a batch of tomato jars cooking, then have 40 minutes to kill before I go back and do it all over again. Trying to tackle a whole bushel this year. That's a lotta tomatoes.

So probably not much in the way of tomatoes for dinner this week. I'm thinking I'll need a break. But I'm loving the cooler weather (though I don't want it to get too cold too fast) and am ready for soup!

Our fall-ish menu for the week:
And happy NFL, by the way! Yahoo for football Sundays!

Sunday
Veggie beef soup: we have a big old soup bone, and we'll brown that then put it in a pan and build around it. I'm reserving the right to make a game-time decision, but now I'm thinking: saute an onion, brown the soup bone, add some water, simmer. Add other good stuff (carrots? potatoes? garlic? tomatoes? okay -- I know I said I wouldn't use them this week, but it's soup. It needs them. What else? Maybe some chopped zucchini? I don't know. Maybe some barley?).

This will need crusty bread, I think.

Monday
Mushroom ravioli with onions and basil and parmesan

Tuesday
Grilled sole: lay it out on foil, coat with olive oil, salt and pepper, and sprinkle capers all around. Grill until the thin edges get a little brown and crispy and lovely.
With it: roasted pattypan squash, bread

Wednesday
Probably a good day for leftovers -- soup, or ravioli, or if there aren't any leftovers, little flatbread pizzas will be nice, done on the grill with mushrooms, basil, sausage, feta...

Thursday
Fall means lentils!
Venison chops, pan-seared then a little bit of red wine and garlic and salt and pepper added for a little sauce
Lentils: cook them, add some sliced roasted red pepper and balsamic vinegar
Broccoli

Yum. I'm hungry NOW.


No comments:

Bookmark on Delicious!

How Many Folks Stopped By?