Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 26... and the eatin' is good.


I seem to be spending a great deal of time lately thinking about, picking, washing and eating food. I'm a sucker for anything that's fresh, or just picked, or ripe and lovely. And so, last week I went off to the orchard (Spicer Orchards) to pick 4 quarts of the most giant raspberries I've ever seen...


I went back another day and got almost 11 pounds of blueberries. I froze most of them, but I'm experimenting with a few in the food dehydrator to see how they turn out. And I saw a recipe in the Detroit Free Press for a Blueberry Galette, so 3 cups went to that. I think I'll go back next week and get more, because the thought of it being mid-winter and me being out of blueberries in the freezer makes me nervous. I'm a blueberry hoarder. This is what the galette looked like out of the oven:



But we can't live on berries alone, right? The farmer's market had squash blossoms yesterday... I've seen so many recipes for them, but always hoard the ones on my own zucchini plants (I have enough trouble coaxing squash from them to begin with). So I bought some. And they'll be dinner tonight:

Toasted bread
Blueberry galette for dessert!

And we have a sort-of plan for the week... the goal is using all the veggies I keep buying (and the ones actually growing in our own garden! Whee!)

Monday

Fish (either salmon or sole -- both are in the freezer), probably grilled
Saute green beans and baby carrots and onions
Boiled baby potatoes, salted and chives sprinkled on.

Tuesday

Grilled zucchini, sliced tomato, mozzarella, basil on toasted bread. Maybe balsamic vinegar drizzled on top.

Wednesday

Steak
Corn on the cob
Broccoli salad

Thursday

Grilled pizzas on flatbread... with all kinds of good stuff on them.

And of course, we have a crazy cucumber plant. So, sliced cucumbers for snacks and appetizers all week!

2 comments:

the allmens said...

Ohhhhhh wow am I jealous. Fresh berries are nowhere to be found here, I'm afraid. All the watermelon you could hope for, believe me, but I am more of a berry guy. Strawberry season came and went so fast that I didn't have a chance to store for later :( Besides, my freezer is currently full of American chocolate.

Then again, looking at your raspberries, I shudder to think what kind of bovine growth hormones were used on those poor plants to make them produce such unnatural fruit.

Karen Allmen said...

You know, we put some watermelon in the food dehydrator yesterday. Our backpacking cookbook recommends it, but I think it smells like, well, hot watermelon, which isn't really that wonderful.

And you know I'm normally against random chemicals injected in food to make it grotesquely huge, but the raspberries were really good. So I guess I'm okay with that. :)

Bookmark on Delicious!

How Many Folks Stopped By?