Sunday, January 29, 2012

January 29 - February 2

Yahoo!  January is almost done!  Not that I want to wish my life away, but winter isn't really my favorite thing.  But I'm trying...  so there are a few new soups and stews on the menu this week...

Sunday
Chicken and chorizo stew:  based on a recipe from Jan/Feb 2012 Cooking Light, but with many, many different ingredients.  Here's what I'm doing (it's cooking as I type):

1.  Poach two boneless skinless chicken breasts in a mix of water and chicken stock.
2.  Remove chicken from pan, let it cool, then shred it.  Pour liquid out of pan and save.
3.  Saute some chorizo in a bit of olive oil.  Add (one at a time, stirring in and letting each cook for a minute or so):  chopped onion, chopped sweet potato, sliced mushrooms, chopped red bell pepper, corn, diced zucchini.
4.  Stir in some garlic (I chopped 3 cloves) and some spices:  a teaspoon of cumin, a quarter teaspoon salt, some saffron threads, a sprinkling of cayenne.
5.  Pour the cooking liquid back in, bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer.  Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.
6.  Add the shredded chicken back in.  Cook some more (at least until chicken is heated through) until you're ready to eat.  Be sure to check the seasonings, since measuring the amount of veggies was vague at best.
7.  Stir in a bit of red wine vinegar at the end.  Sprinkle with parsley.

I can't vouch for the taste yet, but it smells fantastic.

Monday
My favorite go-to dinner in the winter:
Grilled salmon (with bq sauce)
Roasted brussels sprouts (wash, remove stem bottom and cut in half, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, then spread on a baking sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring every now and then.  Sprinkle a little bit of shredded parmesan for the last few minutes of cooking if you're feeling festive.
Sauteed veggies (a misture of mushrooms, onions, red bell pepper, green beans)

Wednesday
Spinach and lentil soup with cheese and basil

Thursday
Beet soup with balsamic vinegar and feta cheese:

I'm making this one up as I go along.  Here's what I'm thinking:

Roasted golden beets, a chopped onion, some chopped garlic:  saute it all in a pan.  Add a bit of veggie stock and simmer for a while.  Puree.  Mix in some plain greek yogurt.

Top with some crumbled feta cheese, some toasted pine nuts, and a drizzle of 18 year balsamic vinegar.  I'm thinking it'll be good!

Have a great week!  Happy February!

No comments:

Bookmark on Delicious!

How Many Folks Stopped By?